Powered By Blogger

Monday, December 10, 2007

The holiday season is in full swing! Everyone is so festive lately! Stores are decorated, the Salvation Army Bells ring loud & clear, snow is on the ground, holiday parties are planned, presents are being bought and wrapped and placed carefully under the tree. I'd say it's beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Such a happy time of year!!

Maybe it's the season...or recent events in my family's life...I'm not sure which, maybe both...But I have a longing in my heart for family this year. Family that has not seen each other in years. Family that had a falling out many years ago and has just went their separate ways. Why do families treat each other so badly? What happened to the old saying of "Live and let live"? I truly do not understand how adults can act so childish.

This has been weighing very heavily on my heart. I truly miss the big family gatherings at Christmas & Thanksgiving & for summer bbq's. Why is it so hard for some people to let the past be in the past and start over? It's so sad.

You know Mom had her cancer scare and her surgery, and the only people there for Dad was me, my brother, and their pastor. At a scary time in my parents' lives, when they should have been surrounded by loving, caring family, they basically stood alone. What happened to the basic human spirit of compassion and love?

What happened to "blood is thicker than water"? I would truly love to see my family mended this holiday season. But how? Who takes the first step? Should apologies be demanded? No, I think they should be freely given from a remorseful heart. And if no apologies are made, but an attempt at starting over is? Do we completely ignore the past hurts? How does one move past the very hurtful and damaging words and actions that have been said and done?



I am hoping for the best in this situation. Hoping that hearts and minds will be open. Hoping that love will prevail.

After all, isn't that what a big part of the Christmas holiday is about? Hope.

No comments: